Assessing Socio-economic and Modernization Status of Rubber (Hevea brasiliensis) Growers: Evidence from Nagaland, North Eastern Himalayan Region, India

N.K. Patra, Moasunep and Zohmingmawii Sailo


This paper is an attempt to assess the current socio-economic and modernization status of rubber growers in the Mokokchung district, Nagaland, NEHR, India, which will pave the way for accelerating further modernisation. Various socio-economic variables were included to analyse the socio-economic status of rubber growers. Modernization index was calculated, and respondents were sorted accordingly. The mean annual income from rubber cultivation was Rs. 1,86,303, mean income from agriculture was Rs. 1,89,408 and mean annual income was Rs. 2,13,638. It has also emerged that income from rubber cultivation had contributed around 98 per cent on annual income from agriculture and about 87 per cent on total annual income. The majority (89%) of the respondents were under medium modernization index category and the remaining (11%) were under high modernization index category. Further, variables, namely, ‘education ’, ‘total size of landholding’, ‘size of operational land holding’, ‘land under Rubber cultivation’, ‘possession of the number of rubber trees’, ‘material possession’, ‘annual income ’, ‘income from agricultural sector’ and ‘income from rubber cultivation’ had a positive and significant association with the modernization level of rubber cultivation. Further, the null hypothesis was accepted in respect of five socio-economic variables and rejected in respect of nine socio-economic aspects.

Keyword: Rubber; Socio-economic status; Modernization; Modernization index; Correlation

Full Text