COMPENDIUM, IEEC-2023   ( ISBN : 978-81-967860-4-5 )
Theme-3: Bio-diversity and Resource Conservation, Livelihood and Food Security towards Sustainable Agri-food Systems

Perception of BMC Members on Depletion of Natural Resources

Reshma A Victor, Dr. A. Anilkumar and Dr. Smitha K. P,

Kerala Agricultural University, College of Agriculture, Vellayani


Natural resources play a vital role in our daily lives, from the food we eat to the energy we consume. The overuse and misuse of natural resources, such as fossil fuels, water, and minerals, are depleting them faster than they can replenish. The perception of BMC members and other stakeholders on the depletion of natural resources was investigated in this study. Based on the biodiversity richness and ecological sensitivity four blocks each were selected purposively from low lands of Kannur and Alappuzha districts, mid lands of Kollam and Malappuram districts and high ranges of Wayanad and Idukki districts of Kerala. A sample of 180 BMC members were selected for the study purpose. The results show that a significant proportion of BMC members hold high perceptions regarding the depletion of natural resources, with 64.44% falling within the category of greater than seventeen score. On the other hand, 35.56% of BMC members fall under the low perception category. When comparing the district-wise perception of BMC members on depletion of natural resources, the highest perception was recorded in the midlands of Kollam (18.70). The lowlands of Alappuzha (15.80) recorded the lowest perception, which was found to be on par with the midlands of Malappuram (16.50). A significant difference in the perception of depletion of natural resources was observed across the districts (P <0.05). Region-wise distribution of respondents based on the perception of BMC members on depletion of natural resources reveals that midland recorded the highest mean (17.60) in the perception of the depletion of natural resources, and high Range (17.37) exhibited a similar trend. These regions were found to be interrelated. However, there was a considerable variation observed between midland and lowland, as well as high range and lowland (P <0.05).

IEEC-2023 at RARI (SKNAU, Jobner), Jaipur, Rajasthan organised by Society of Extension Education, Agra, India