COMPENDIUM, IEEC-2023   ( ISBN : 978-81-967860-4-5 )
Theme-3: Bio-diversity and Resource Conservation, Livelihood and Food Security towards Sustainable Agri-food Systems

Awareness Level of Farmers Towards Management Practices of Water Conservation in Haryana


Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, Haryana


The present study has been carried out in five districts of Haryana in India; viz. Ambala, Kaithal, Karnal, Kurukshetra, and Yamunanagar with the objective to know the awareness level of farmers towards management practices of water conservation. The outcomes have been visualised after conducting a field survey during 2020-21 of 150 respondents, who were interviewed with a well-structured interview schedule. The independent variables selected in the study were age, education, family type, family size, Occupation, land holding, cropping pattern, irrigation facilities, irrigation methods, water conservation structures, mass media exposure, extension contact. The study concluded that most the respondents had high level of awareness about ‘laser levelling of fields helps in saving the irrigation water’ (2.69), ‘Zero tillage in paddy-wheat cropping rotation’ (2.52), ‘Well maintained water supply system’ (2.45) and ‘DSR (direct seeded rice) technology’ (2.44). While, the respondents were less aware about ‘Smart mobile applications for scheduling irrigation’ (1.24), and ‘Agro advisory based applications’ (1.25) and didn’t attend any training or workshop regarding water conservation. Among the various variables like education, land holding, mass media exposure and extension contact with the awareness had positive and significant correlation. The 12 independent variables included in the study jointly contributed 22.90 per cent variation in the awareness level of farmers towards water conservation practices when other factors were kept constant. This means that only 22.90 per cent of the variation in the dependent variable was due to these variables and remaining 77.10 per cent variations is due to other variables.

IEEC-2023 at RARI (SKNAU, Jobner), Jaipur, Rajasthan organised by Society of Extension Education, Agra, India